This Week's Interviews
Fall For Anything by Courtney Summers
- From Goodreads: When Eddie Reeves’s father commits suicide her life is consumed by the nagging question of why? Why when he was a legendary photographer and a brilliant teacher? Why when he seemed to find inspiration in everything he saw? And, most important, why when he had a daughter who loved him more than anyone else in the world? When she meets Culler Evans, a former student of her father’s and a photographer himself, an instant and dangerous attraction begins. Cullen seems to know more about her father than she does and could possibly hold the key to the mystery surrounding his death. But Eddie’s vulnerability has weakened her and Culler Evans is getting too close. Her need for the truth keeps her hanging on...but are some questions better left unanswered?
It's a bit of a blur! It took about four to five months for the initial draft and then about two and a half months for the edits.
How was your journey to publication? Long, short, how many rejections?
LOTS of rejections. Lots and lots and lots and lots! Cracked Up to Be was my first published novel, but the fourth book I'd written. I'd sought representation for the novels before it and they never panned out (hence the lots of rejection). It took a few years from the time I started writing with the goal of publication in mind to being published. Relatively, that is not very long at all. I feel very lucky for the way it turned out.
What advice would you most like to pass along to other writers?
To take yourself seriously and to not let anyone else talk you out of it.
What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?
Reader feedback! I always hope that people will connect with and invest in the characters and situations I create, but there's no guarantee that they will. So when they do, it's always a bit surreal, and a shock. But a very, very gratifying one!
Out for Blood (The Drake Chronicles #3) by Alyxandra Harvey
- From Goodreads: Hunter Wild is the youngest in a long line of elite vampire hunters, a legacy that is both a blessing and a curse at the secret Helios-Ra Academy, where she excels at just about everything. Thanks to her friendship with Kieran Black, Hunter receives a special invitation to attend the coronation of Helena Drake, and for the first time, she sees the difference between vampires that must be hunted and vampires that can become friends—or even more. When students at the academy fall victim to a mysterious illness, Hunter suspects they are under attack from within. She will need someone she can trust to help her save the future of Helios-Ra . . . help that shockingly comes in the form of Quinn Drake, a drop-dead gorgeous vampire. Who said senior year would be easy?
Loser/Queen by Jodi Lynn Anderson
- From Goodreads: Cammy Hall is what anyone would describe as a loser. She lives with her grandparents and has adopted their way of life… right down to the comfortable shoes and early bedtime. And can she help it that she actually likes to knit? At school, her skills with knitting needles and some yarn go completely unappreciated: people like Bekka Bell reign while Cammy and her best friend, the fearless Danish exchange student Gerdi, watch from the sidelines. Cammy’s used to being an outsider; after years of humiliating moments, her goal is simply to fly under the radar. Then she suddenly starts receiving mysterious text messages that lead her right to all the embarrassing secrets about the most popular kids in school. Cammy never expected to be able to climb up the high school food chain, and the agenda of the texter may be questionable—but how can she possibly give up the chance to be Queen?
Tempestuous (Wondrous Strange) by Lesley Livingston
- From Amazon: "I don't love Sonny Flannery." That's the lie Kelley Winslow told to protect the boy she loves from a power he doesn't know he possesses. Devastated, Sonny retreats—to a haven for Lost Fae that's hidden deep underneath New York City. But Kelley's not about to let things end in heartbreak. To get Sonny back, she's got to find out who's after his magick—and how to use her own. She's got to uncover who's recruiting Janus Guards to murderously hunt innocent Faerie. She's got to help rebuild the shattered theater company she called family. And she's got to do it all without getting dangerously distracted by the Fennrys Wolf, whose legendary heart of stone seems to melt whenever he's around Kelley.
Solitary (Escape From Furnace 2) by Alexander Gordon Smith
- From Amazon: Alex Sawyer and his mates should have known there was no way out of Furnace Penitentiary. Their escape attempt only lands them deeper in the guts of this prison for young offenders, and then into solitary confinement. And that's where a whole new struggle begins—a struggle not to let the hellish conditions overwhelm them. Because before another escape attempt is even possible, they must first survive the nightmare that now haunts their endless nights.
All You Get Is Me by Yvonne Prinz
- From Goodreads: Things were complicated enough for Roar, even before her father decided to yank her out of the city and go organic. Suddenly, she’s a farm girl, albeit a reluctant one, selling figs at the farmers’ market and developing her photographs in a ramshackle shed. Caught between a troublemaking sidekick named Storm, a brooding, easy-on-the-eyes L.A. boy, and a father on a human rights crusade that challenges the fabric of the farm community, Roar is going to have to tackle it all—even with dirt under her fingernails and her hair pulled back with a rubber band meant for asparagus.
The Book of Spells (A Private Prequel) by Kate Brian
- From Goodreads: A Private prequel that tells the true origins of Billings House!
We're beyond excited to announce 3 big giveaways! Courtney Summers' FALL FOR ANYTHING, Alyxandra Harvey's OUT FOR BLOOD, and Jodi Lynn Anderson's LOSER/QUEEN are going to find their way into the hands of three lucky winners. All you have to do is leave a comment on this post and fill out the form below. The contest is open to our follwers who are U.S. residents and will run through Wednesday at midnight EST. Good luck!
Martina & Marissa