If there’s a news story or blog post you found particularly interesting, or you want to share your thoughts on an article, send me a tweet. Or just stop by to say hello!
BookExpo and BookCon News and Interviews:
- We Went To BookCon 2017 and It Was *Epic* via Epic Reads: A round-up of happenings at last week’s BookCon event.
Writing for Publication—Queries and Submissions:
- Query Critique Tuesday: Focus on your protagonist's journey via Nathan Bransford: A sample query and a focus on showing events from your protagonist’s view.
- What Is Your Book Comparable To? via Babbles from Scott Eagan: The best way to use comp titles in your query letter.
- How to research a literary agent via Nathan Bransford: Tips on choosing a list of agents to query.
- How to personalize a query via Nathan Bransford: Guest post on tips to personalize your query to a specific agent.
- Cold requerying via Janet Reid: Can you requery an agent who has already rejected your manuscript?
- Literary Agent Intern Tracy Gold's Step-Through of an Agent's Revise and Resubmit Request via Adventures in YA Publishing: We welcome Tracy Gold back to the blog with a fabulously detailed step-by-step post on how to handle R&Rs (revise and resubmit requests) from literary agents.
Writing for Publication—Book Marketing and Social Media:
- How to Create and Market your Author Platform FREE via BadRedhead Media: Free options to get you started creating and marketing your brand.
- 3 Steps To Know Your Audience For Increased Book Sales via Digital Book World: Authors who take the time to get to know who they are writing for are able to engage with them genuinely.
- Author Safety via Books & Such: Not quite a post on social media, but just as important is your safety as a public person; see these tips to protect yourself.
- Author Chat with J.C. Geiger (Wildman), Plus Giveaway! via YA Books Central: Interview with J.C. Geiger on his novel, Wildman.
- The Life-Changing Reading Habit Sarah Dessen Discovered As a Teen via Goodreads: Goodreads asked Sarah Dessen to share her thoughts on the importance of stories and escapism.
- Author Of The Week: Chat with Cora Carmack (Roar), Plus Giveaway!! via YA Books Central: Interview with Cora Carmack on her novel, Roar.
- Author Of The Week: Chat with Veronica Rossi (Seeker), Plus Giveaway!! via YA Books Central: Interview with Veronica Rossi on her novel, Seeker.
- Four Questions with Sarah Dessen via Publishers Weekly: Sarah Dessen shares her thoughts about on the ways YA has changed over the last two decades, and what inspires her to keep writing for teens.
- Author Chat with Kayla Olson, Plus Giveaway! via YA Books Central: A chat with Kayla Olson, author of The Sandcastle Empire.
Adventures in YA Publishing Author Interviews:
- Sarah Tolcser, author of SONG OF THE CURRENT, on the only way out being through
- Cath Crowley, author of WORDS IN DEEP BLUE, on books and ideas connecting and helping us
- A.V. Geiger, author of FOLLOW ME BACK, on balancing your navigation through social media
- Kayla Olson, author of THE SANDCASTLE EMPIRE, on projects that serve different purposes during your journey
- Natalka Burian, author of WELCOME TO THE SLIPSTREAM, on telling the story waiting to be told by you
- A.J. Hartley, author of FIREBRAND, on being bolder in what he is doing
Literary Agent News and Interviews:
- Get to Know Agent Rachel Brooks via BookEnds Literary: Short interview with literary agent Rachel Brooks.
- Agent Alyssa Jennette Looking for Clients via Kathy Temean: Information about Alyssa Jennette of Stonesong Literary.
- New Literary Agent Alert: Connor Eck of Lucinda Literary LLC via Writer’s Digest: Information about Connor Eck, who I interviewed last month for AYAP.
Writing and Pitch Contests:
- Helen Sheehan Book Prize via Elephant Rock Books: Elephant Rock’s Sheehan YA Book Prize is awarded to the strongest full-length YA novel; winners receive a monetary prize and publication with Elephant Rock Books.
- 14 Keys to Revising Your Manuscript by David Lubar via Kathy Temean: A guest post on 14 things to look for when revising.
- How to Treat Mentally Ill Characters When Writing a Novel via Writer’s Digest: Writing characters with mental illness without resorting to caricature.
- The Real Problem With Passive Voice in Fiction via Fiction University: Understanding passive voice so you can correct it.
- Writing Inspiration: Do You Really Need It to Write? via The Write Practice: Is it possible to write anytime, whether you’re inspired or not?
- Real Writers Persist. Always. via Laura Sapala: Persistence, without exception, is what you must do as a writer.
Publishing News & Trends:
- Harper Lee estate endorses To Kill a Mockingbird graphic novel via The Guardian: The new comic is the latest in a number of posthumous projects based on the work of Harper Lee.
- Month in Review: May 2017 via The Hub: A quick round up of featured posts about YA featured on The Hub.
- The Well-Read Black Girl Festival Is On via Electric Lit: After exceeding its $15,000 fundraising goal this weekend, the Well-Read Black Girl Writers’ Conference and Festival is on for September 9th in Brooklyn.
- Lauren Graham Picks Up YA Novel ‘Windfall’ And Will Adapt As Feature via Deadline: Jennifer E. Smith’s latest novel, Windfall, is getting the big screen treatment.
New YA E-Book Deals:
New YA Book Giveaways:
- Adventures in YA Publishing Giveaways
- Epic Reads Giveaways
- Goodreads Giveaways
- RivetedLit Giveaways
- YA Books Central Giveaways
YA Book Awards and Congratulations:
- 2017 Children’s and Teen Choice Book Award Winners Announced via Publishers Weekly: The winners of the 2017 Children’s and Teen Choice Book Awards were announced on May 31 at BookExpo in New York City.
YA New Book Deals and Releases:
- New Releases this week 06/05-06/11 plus 4 Giveaways via Adventures in YA Publishing: Our weekly picks and giveaways!
- What's New in YA ~ June 6th, 2017 via YA Books Central: A featured list of new YA books hitting shelves this week.
Just for Fun:
- What to Do With Used Books via Book Riot: The best ways to de-clutter your bookshelves.