Writing for Publication—Before the Sale:
- Introducing Writing 101: From Concept to Query (and Beyond!) via Adventures in YA Publishing: Our own Laura Weymouth will be leading this series of posts, beginning next week!
- Enter for a chance to have your page or query critiqued! via Nathan Bransford, Author: Former literary agent and author Nathan Bransford begins offering page and query critiques through his website.
- Successful Query: Margaret Rogers & An Enchantment of Ravens via Writer’s Digest: Example of a successful YA fantasy query.
Writing for Publication—Book Marketing and Social Media:
- 5 Ways Instagram Can Help Writers Reach More Readers via Karen Woodward: Inspiration for how to use Instagram to connect with readers.
- Authors need help with their digital presence that they still are not getting via The Idea Logical Company: A long, but worthwhile read to understand what publishers do to help author branding, and what authors must do themselves.
- 7 Secrets of Super-Successful Video Marketing via Social: Answers to the questions, what makes a great video? And what keeps viewers engaged?
- Spindle Fire Author Lexa Hillyer on the Fiercest Sisters in YA Fantasy via The B&N Teen Blog: YA Author Lexa Hillyer on her top YA fantasy books with sister power.
- Q&A with Alex, Approximately author Jenn Bennett via Riveted: Jenn Bennett answers questions about her novel, Alex Approximately.
- Indie Superstars with David R. Bernstein + Giveaway (US Only) via YA Books Central: Interview with indie author David R. Bernstein on his novel, Influence.
- Author Of The Week: Chat with Mindy McGinnis (Given To The Sea), Plus Giveaway!! via YA Books Central: This week’s spotlight author is Mindy McGinnis.
- Being Your Best Self: Whitney Gardner talks YOU’RE WELCOME, UNIVERSE via YA Interrobang: Interview with debut YA author Whitney Gardner.
- AGENT NATALIE LAKOSIL and AUTHOR LINDSEY BECKER GUEST POST and QUERY CRITIQUE and THE STAR THIEF GIVEAWAY via Literary Rambles: Lindsey Becker discusses how she got her agent, and her agent, Natalie Lakosil, shares tips on how to successfully revise and resubmit.
- Author Chat with Claudia Gray, Plus Giveaway! via YA Books Central: Interview with Claudia Gray on her novel, Defy the Stars.
- Author Chat with Jessica Parks (180 Seconds), Plus First Chapter Reveal & Giveaway! via YA Books Central: Interview with 180 Seconds author, Jessica Parks.
- Dhonielle Clayton on how The Belles allowed her to explore teen issues via Entertainment Weekly: YA author Dhonielle Clayton discusses her inspirations for her world and The Belles.
- Rebecca Serle on Being the Author and TV Series Co-Creator of Famous in Love via The B&N Teen Blog: YA author Rebecca Serle discusses her novel, Famous in Love, and its journey to the small screen.
- Author Chat with Estelle Laure, Plus Giveaway via YA Books Central: Interview with Estelle Laure about her new book, But Then I Came Back.
Adventures in YA Publishing Author Interviews:
- J. C. Davis, author of CHEESUS WAS HERE, on being inspired by "holy food"
- Shelley Sackier, author of THE FREEMASON'S DAUGHTER, on having an official house bagpiper
- Mindy McGinnis, author of GIVEN TO THE SEA, on being inspired by a book about a disease
Literary Agent News and Interviews:
- Agent Update: Roseanne Wells of The Jennifer De Chiara Literary Agency via Writer’s Digest: Roseanne Wells shares an update to her #MSWL.
- What Do Literary Agents Do? via Nathan Bransford, Author: Former agent Nathan Bransford has updated his post on all the things literary agents do.
Writing and Pitch Contests:
- Query Kombat 2017 via Michelle4Laughs: The annual query battle begins in May. See the link for details and dates!
- Stuck in a Rut: How to Amp Up a “Boring” Story Setting via Writers in the Storm: Focusing on the details in your settings can liven up a scene.
- Is Your Character’s Face the Window to Her Soul? via Writer Unboxed: Writing interesting descriptions for characters, including your protagonist.
- How the Wrong Tone Can Change Your Whole Novel via Fiction University: Using the right tone of voice for your novel.
- The Most Common Entry-Level Mistake in the Writing Game via Jane Friedman: Guest author Larry Brooks shares the biggest mistake writers can make: overwriting.
- 3 Common Mistakes Writers Make (And How to Avoid Them) via The Write Practice: Overcoming the self-doubt that fuels these three common writing mistakes.
- Oops! Hold on. You’re Newbie is Showing. via Kristen Lamb: A list of mistakes (with great examples) that new writers make, and how to fix them.
- Editor’s Pick: How to Write Great Subtext in YA Dialogue via Epic Reads: An excerpt from Sara Zarr’s novel, with commentary by editor Jordan Brown on why Zarr is a master of subtext.
- The Joy, Control, and Terror of Publishing Indy via Adventures in YA Publishing: Martina shares her thoughts on going indy.
- 6 Tips on Writing from Jay Asher (13 Reasons Why) via Writer’s Digest: YA author Jay Asher shares six inspiring tips for writers.
- Camp Pep: Go for the Grit via NaNoWriMo Blog: A pep talk about having grit and battling fear.
Publishing News & Trends:
- Trending Up: What’s Fueling and Feeding the Audiobook Boom? via Digital Book World: Audiobooks continue to rise, but what’s behind the new surge in listening to your favorite novels?
- Angie Thomas Says Her Bestselling Novel "The Hate U Give" Proves There's A Market For Books With Black Characters via BuzzFeed Books: Angie Thomas discusses the ongoing fight for more diversity in publishing.
- Young Adult: New Y.A. Novels Tackle Crime and Its Consequences via NYT Books: A roundup of new young adult fiction includes stories of a thief seeking justice, a skeleton revealing a city’s shameful past and a gorilla spinning tales.
- A Big Week for Children's Book Publishing via Publishers Weekly: An overview of the Bologna Children’s Book Fair and the Children’s Institute, both held in early April.
- This Week In YA News: Leigh Bardugo, The Raven Boys, And More! via Epic Reads: The inside scoop on upcoming book and movie YA projects.
New YA E-Book Deals:
New YA Book Giveaways:
- Adventures in YA Publishing Giveaways
- Epic Reads Giveaways
- Goodreads Giveaways
- RivetedLit Giveaways
- YA Books Central Giveaways
YA Book Awards and Congratulations:
- ORANGEBOY wins Waterstones Children’s Book Prize via YA Interrobang: Waterstones Booksellers announced the winners of the 2017 Waterstones Children’s Book Prize. (The Waterstones Children’s Book Prize is an annual award which celebrates new talent in children’s and young adult literature published in the U.K.)
YA New Book Deals and Releases:
- New Releases 04/10-04/16 plus 4 Giveaways via Adventures in YA Publishing: Our weekly list of new YA releases.
- What new YA books release this week? (April 11) via YA Interrobang: A new week, more book releases!
- What's New In YA ~ April 11th, 2017 via YA Books Central: Another great round-up of new YA books.
Just for Fun:
- ‘Other Breakable Things’ co-author Kelley York’s Top 5 video games with great storytelling via Happily Ever After: YA author Kelley York lists her favorite video games.
- Manicure Inspiration: 10 Amazing Bookish Nail Art Tutorials via Book Riot: Wear your favorite books on your nails!
If there’s a news story or blog post you found particularly interesting, please share it in the comments!