Writing for Publication—Before the Sale:
- The Crafting of an Editorial Letter via Pub(lishing) Crawl: Agent Kelly Van Sant shares her process for writing an editorial letter to clients.
- Two Types of Writers: Plotters and Pantsers via Reedsy: Each writing style is defined, along with a guide to make the move from a pantser to a plotter.
- QUITE THE QUERY: LAURA RUECKERT AND A DRAGONBIRD IN THE FERN via Chasing the Crazies: A successful YA fantasy query letter sample with commentary.
- How to Land an Agent for a Self-Published Book via Jane Friedman: Routes to querying agents if you’ve already self-published.
Writing for Publication—Book Marketing and Social Media:
- The Reasons Branding Confuses You and How To Fix That Right Now via BadRedHead Media: A breakdown of what branding is, and how to define your own brand.
- How to Make Facebook Show the Right Blog Image via Create If Writing: Podcast that provides an answer to fixing that annoying Facebook issue.
- Can Changing Your Book Covers Really Help You Sell More Books? via The Creative Penn: Taking advantage of being an indie publisher and changing your book covers over time.
- Helpful Hacks to Build a Strong Online Brand via Writers in the Storm: Defining your brand through two exercises.
- Rockstar Book Tours Blog Tour, Interview, & Giveaway: Hear The Wolves (Victoria Scott) via YA Books Central: Interview with YA author Victoria Scott.
- Author Chat with Carrie Mac, Plus Review & Giveaway! via YA Books Central: Discussion with Carrie Mac on her latest novel, 10 Things I Can See From Here.
- Author Of The Week: Chat with Rosalyn Eves (Blood Rose Rebellion), Plus Giveaway!! via YA Books Central: Interview with Rosalyn Eves, YABC's Author of the Week.
- Shiny Ladders and Feminism: Kate Hart talks AFTER THE FALL via YA Interrobang: Interview with After the Fall author, Kate Hart.
- Maggie Stiefvater Talks 'All the Crooked Saints,' and Here's a First Look at the Gorgeous Cover via Entertainment Weekly: Maggie Stiefvater discusses her new stand-alone YA novel hitting shelves later this year.
- Piper Perish Author Kayla Cagan on How to Bust Out of a Creative Rut via The B&N Teen Blog: Kayla Cagan shares her advice on breaking free of a rut
Literary Agent News and Interviews:
- AGENT SPOTLIGHT INTERVIEW WITH KRISTY HUNTER AND QUERY CRITIQUE GIVEAWAY via Literary Rambles: Interview with Kristy Hunter.
- Agent Kate McKean and Author Alyson Gerber Guest Post W/Query Critique and Braced Giveaway via Literary Rambles: Debut author Alyson Gerber and her agent Kate McKean discuss her successful query letter and provide querying tips.
- FIRST FIVE FRENZY with Tracy Marchini of BookEnds Literary Agency via Chasing the Crazies: Five questions for literary agent Tracy Marchini.
- Interview With Editor Brian Geffen via Pub(lishing) Crawl: Insight into the acquisitions process.
Writing and Pitch Contests:
- The Benefits of Participating in Writing Contests on Twitter via Writer’s Digest: A look at Twitter contests and if they’re beneficial for aspiring writers.
- Directing Reader Attention via Kidlit: As the writer of your story, you know what’s important, but do you know how to pull the reader’s attention to it?
- Tips for When You’re Stuck in the Beginning via Writers in the Storm: Practical advice for launching a new writing project.
- How to Produce an Emotional Response in Readers: Inner Mode, Outer Mode, and Other Mode via Jane Friedman: Post adapted from The Emotional Craft of Fiction by agent Donald Maass.
- 5 Steps to Building an Outline for Writing a Novel by author Casey Griffin via Adventures in YA Publishing: The benefits of outlining and how to do it by Casey Griffin.
- A Reminder Of What Makes A Real Writer via Terribleminds: If you write, you’re a writer.
- A Little Reminder: Take Care of Yourself via Operation Awesome: A reminder to take care of yourself from YA author Melinda Marshall Friesen.
- Embracing Perseverance via Writer Unboxed: Breaking down the how and why we persevere.
- Stop thinking and start doing via Nathan Bransford, Author: Increase your productivity by writing rather than making notes about your writing.
- Writing through the Soggy, Infuriating, Anxiety-Inducing Middle via Writer Unboxed: Inspiration and practical advice to get through the middle of your draft.
Publishing News & Trends:
- Where Fiction and Reality Collide: Books and Black Lives Matter via NYT Books: A look at how real life has influenced recent YA books.
- New Crop of Young Adult Novels Explores Race and Police Brutality via NYT Books: A companion to the above article—a look at new and upcoming YA books that explore race in America.
- Facts and Figures 2016: Children’s Bestsellers Reflect Booming Backlists and Reinvigorated Franchises via Publishers Weekly: The PW 2016 Facts and Figures compilation of children’s bestsellers encompasses a wide range of titles, dominated by series (both new and old), movie tie-ins, and read-aloud favorites.
- TV Alert: ‘13 Reasons Why’ via Publishers Weekly: A spotlight on the upcoming Netflix adaptation of Jay Asher’s YA novel and this growing trend.
- Muslim Publishers Look to Build Bridges, Counter Cultural Misunderstanding via Publishers Weekly: Muslim publishers discuss countering cultural misunderstanding.
- Bologna 2017: Agents Talk Children's and YA Trends via Publishers Weekly: Agents and scouts attending this year’s Bologna book fair talk about the trends they’ve been noticing.
- BAD GIRL GONE movie rights sell to Iggy Azalea via YA Interrobang: Iggy Azalea’s Azalea Street Productions optioned the upcoming novel.
- This Week In YA: Emma Roberts, The Darkest Minds, And More! via Epic Reads Blog: New book clubs, movie news, and YA author besties.
- IF FICTION CHANGES THE WORLD, IT’S GOING TO BE YA via LitHub: Opinion piece about YA fiction and its legitimacy in the publishing world.
New YA E-Book Deals:
New YA Book Giveaways:
- Adventures in YA Publishing Giveaways
- Epic Reads Giveaways
- Goodreads Giveaways
- RivetedLit Giveaways
- YA Books Central Giveaways
YA New Book Deals and Releases:
- New Releases this week 03/20-03/26 plus 3 Giveaways via Adventures in YA Publishing: Our weekly YA book picks and giveaways!
- What's New In YA ~ March 21st, 2017 via YA Books Central: New releases in YA.
- What new YA books release this week? (March 21) via YA Interrobang: Weekly feature of YA releases in the US and Australia.
Just for Fun:
- If YA Characters Had Google Search Histories via Epic Reads Blog: Examples of how your favorite characters’ search histories would look!
If there’s a news story or blog post you found particularly interesting, please share it in the comments!