Writing for Publication: Before the Sale:
- Pitch Perfect via Writer Unboxed: Tips to think about before you pitch to an agent or editor.
- Look Into Publishers Before Submitting via Sub It Club: Checking the credentials of a publisher before you submit to save you time, trouble, and possible heartache.
- Editors’ Tips on Revising Your Manuscript and Query Letter via Writer’s Digest: Webinar recording of five Reedsy editors on their ultimate revision tips and the inside scoop on querying agents.
Writing for Publication: Book Marketing and Social Media:
- What Is Platform and How Do You Build It? via Create If Writing: Kirsten Oliphant answers the question, “What do you really need to have a platform?”
- Tips for Surviving a Book Tour from a Debut Novelist via Writer’s Digest: Advice from a debut novelist on the book tour blues.
- How do I stay published with lackluster sales? via Janet Reid, Literary Agent: Janet answers a question about how to stay relevant when your book sales are low.
- The Complete Guide to Instagram Ads: A Step-by-Step Guide to Advertising on Instagram via Social: Reaching groups of Instagram users for marketing purposes.
- 3 Unconventional Ways To Use Social Media To Effectively Find Your Readers via The Creative Penn: This guest post highlights digging deep into research to find book comps and your readers.
- What Goodreads' Explosive Growth Means for Writers and the Broader Economy via Forbes.com: How writers can use Goodreads as a social media platform to reach readers.
- Katie Bayerl on Debut YA “A Psalm for Lost Girls” via School Library Journal: An interview with Katie Bayerl on her debut novel.
- Sickness Lurks Underneath: Kim Savage talks BEAUTIFUL BROKEN GIRLS via YA Interrobang: Kim Savage discusses her latest novel.
- Goodbye Days Author Jeff Zentner on the Evolution of an Idea via The B&N Teen Blog: Jeff Zentner shares the spark that became is sophomore novel, and how it evolved.
- Must-read YA: 'The End of Oz' by Danielle Paige (and interview!) via Happily Ever After/USA Today: Interview with Danielle Paige on her fourth novel in the Dorothy Must Die series.
- Q & A with Laini Taylor via Publishers Weekly: The Daughter of Smoke and Bone author discusses her new duology, Strange the Dreamer.
Adventures in YA Publishing Author Interviews:
- Katherine Webber, author of THE HEARTBEATS OF WING JONES, on racking up an impressive number of query rejections: We sit down with Katherine Webber to learn more about her debut novel.
- Jennifer Park, author of THE SHADOWS WE KNOW BY HEART, on twitter stalking her agent: Jennifer Park shares the inspiration for her debut novel.
- Melissa Landers, author of STARFALL, on giving her characters the endings they deserve: We chat with Melissa Landers about STARFALL, the second book in the Starflight series.
- Jen Wilde, author of QUEENS OF GEEK, on struggling with her own anxieties: Jen Wilde discusses her latest novel and the scene that was the hardest to write.
- Meghan Rogers, author of ENEMY EXPOSURE, on trusting herself, her work, and the people around her: Meghan Rogers shares intel about the second book in The Raven Files series.
Literary Agent News and Interviews:
- Introducing Eric Smith! via Pub(lishing) Crawl: Pub Crawl interviews their latest contributor, literary agent Eric Smith.
- AGENT SPOTLIGHT INTERVIEW WITH LINDA CAMACHO AND QUERY CRITIQUE GIVEAWAY via Literary Rambles: Interview with Linda Camacho.
- The Expansion of a Theme via Fiction University: Methods to expand on the theme in your novel.
- The Structure of a Murder Mystery in 5 Acts via Kristen Lamb: Writing a YA murder mystery novel? Check out this helpful structure.
- One Writer Used Statistics to Reveal the Secrets of What Makes Great Writing via Smithsonian.com: Data journalist Ben Blatt takes a by-the-numbers look at literary classics and finds some fascinating patterns.
- Real Life Diagnostics: Does This YA Fantasy Opening Work? via Fiction University: Real Life Diagnostics studies a snippet of a work in progress for specific issues.
- Writing Exercise #6: What Is Your Story Problem? via Go Teen Writers: Questions to ask yourself about your story to define it’s problem.
- 5 Pieces of Bad Advice Literary Fiction Writers Get About Publishing via Anne R. Allen’s Blog: A warning for writers on the bad advice out there and why you shouldn’t believe it.
- Finding Release When You're Too Emotionally Drained to Write PLUS a Mystery Box Book Giveaway via Adventures in YA Publishing: Martina shares her thoughts on coping with what’s going on in the news, as well as social media.
- How to Be More Creative (without Having to Be Original) via Goins, Writer: Gathering inspiration from many sources and reworking them to create your own style.
Publishing News & Trends:
- London Digital 2017: The Future of Publishing Is... via Publishers Weekly: Industry vets discuss the future of the storytelling landscape.
- Rick Riordan’s Percy Jackson Takes the Stage in New York City via School Library Journal: The Percy Jackson novel has been made into a musical.
- DEAD GIRLS DETECTIVE AGENCY sells adaptation rights for web series via YA Interrobang: Insurrection Media and Keshet Studios bought the rights to adapt The Dead Girls Detective Agency by Suzy Cox into a web series.
- Jennifer Aniston Joins the Dumplin Movie Cast via Epic Reads Blog: Aniston will play Rosie in Julie Murphy’s YA novel adaptation.
- The fall and rise of physical book sales worldwide – in data via The Guardian: Nielsen, which tracks book sales in several countries, released 2016 figures to coincide with this week’s London Book Fair.
- What Book Lovers Lose If We Lose The NEA and NEH via Book Riot: A list of some programs book-lovers will miss if these agencies cease to exist.
- This Week In YA News: Mandy Moore, Dumplin’, Simon, And More! via Epic Reads Blog: YA movie casting news, new books, and the NYT Bestseller’s List.
- Procrastination Pro-Tips: YA Adaptation Casting, AMERICAN GODS Trailer, CW Shows Ranked, And More! via Forever Young Adult: YA book, movie, and TV updates.
New YA E-Book Deals:
New YA Book Giveaways:
- Mailbag Giveaway: YA Edition via Book Riot: This special all YA giveaway is open until tonight (Sunday, March 19) at 11:59 pm.
- Adventures in YA Publishing Giveaways
- Epic Reads Giveaways
- Goodreads Giveaways
- RivetedLit Giveaways
- YA Books Central Giveaways
YA New Book Deals and Releases:
- What new YA books release this week? (March 14) via YA Interrobang: A round-up of newly released YA books.
- What new YA covers hit the web this week? (March 13) via YA Interrobang: Cover reveals!
- New Releases this week 03/13-03/19 plus 2 Giveaways via Adventures in YA Publishing: A list of anticipated new releases and giveaways!
- Book Deals: Week of March 20, 2017 via Publishers Weekly: Django Wexler’s YA debut fantasy trilogy called Deepwalker, sold to Tor Teen.
Just for Fun:
- Read excerpts from new YA books! (March 14) via YA Interrobang: A selection of excerpts from new YA books.
- Amber Smith’s Writing Space via Riveted: YA author Amber Smith shares photos of her writing space.
- List of the Week: Bookish YA Tumblrs via YA Interrobang: A list of booky Tumblrs to follow.
If there’s a news story or blog post you found particularly interesting, please share it in the comments!