I'm still working through the copyedits on BEHOLDEN, which I have to send back to my editor at Simon Pulse on Monday. In case you want to know what reviewing copyedits looks like, here's a pic:
The manuscript is there bottom center in all it's glory, including the page I'm working on, the stack of completed pages on the left with tabs for issues I need to revisit again later, and the stack of pages still to go through on the right.
Also critical to the copyedit review process are the supplies around my workspace.
- Top center: Stacks of reference books, hand-drawn maps, and the manuscript style sheet.
- Mid left: Supply of pencils and reading glasses, both of which dwindle during the day when I walk off and forget them somewhere. Also a tennis ball for Auggie, because he needs something fun every once in a while. And finally, a jar of vitamins, because I'm eating delicious crap instead of actual food.
- Top right: Above-referenced delicious crap.
- Close up of above-referenced delicious crap. Quality Street. Baci chocolates. Mozart Kugeln. (Don't judge. They were all Christmas presents. Also, my favorites.) Also tea. With milk. And NO that is not weird!
- Floor right: Auggie. And his frog.
- Credenza (behind): My collection of orchids and Zoe, ready to pounce on my shoulder because my lap is inaccessible.
- The backyard (where I haven't set foot in a while): Deer. And um, outdoor stuff, including fresh air. (I think. It's one of the things like sleep that is but a distant memory.)
Thought For the Week
|And make the most of it! Because even when there isn't much sleep involved, getting the chance to live your dreams is FABULOUS!|
YA Lit Giveaway This WeekDon't forget to check the sidebars here on the blog to make sure you've caught up with all the book giveaways we've got cooking. I posted a Win ANY YA Novel giveaway yesterday and there's a slew of great James Dashner books in yesterday's posts as well. And in case you think you missed anything, you can always click here to get ALL the giveaway posts in one swoop.
I've got to catch up with all the giveaways once I'm done with copyedits, so in the meantime, I'm going to repost the first of the special giveaways I'm going to do to mark BEHOLDEN's debut year. I'll be giving away either a signed book, or a signed series, every month until BEHOLDEN releases in the fall.
Kicking it all off, I've got a signed MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR WAYWARD CHILDREN for you, with the special YALLFEST sticker. If you don't know the story about that sticker, head over to my Tumblr. The story is as fabulous as Ransom.
Just fill out the Rafflecopter below to win.
Books, Books, Books
It's also gearing up to be a fabulous year for YA movies. Here's some books you may need to catch up on though, before you head out to the theatre to watch the films.
I've also got my hands on some fabulous ARCs, which I will be digging into as soon as I've got copyedits out of the way. Here are some I'm super excited about:
- Veronica Rossi's INTO THE STILL BLUE
- Katherine Catmull's CABINET OF CURIOSITIES
- Lauren Oliver's PANIC. Want to hear her read the first chapter? :)
Stumped on your next read? The Pickerington Library created a chart of some great 2014 series launching between now and April. I'm thrilled to see my YASeriesInsiders.com sister Lanie Bross' FATES on that list. WOO HOO!
|Via Pickerington Library|
And speaking of my YASeriesInsiders.com sisters. Did you see that MUNDIE MOMS picked Tracy Clark's SCINTILLATE as one of their top picks of all the upcoming books?
And that Bree Despain's THE SHADOW PRINCE has a new cover?
Writing Tip of the Week
In addition to the great guest posts we've had here on the blog this week, here's some things you might want to check out:
|Jami Gold's Worksheets for Writers|
|The Eight Habits of Highly Successful Fiction Writers|
InspirationAnd finally, a little something to help us all get through the weekend and next week.
Have a fabulous weekend, everyone. Happy reading and writing!
a Rafflecopter giveaway