The rules are simple:
- We pick a secret book and select a piece of trivia or a tidbit about the plot, cast of characters, setting, theme, or the author's inspiration for writing it and connect that tidbit to another secret book. The first person to comment should name the first book or the second book or both and who wrote them.
- The first person to comment may also choose to create a new connection between any element of the second book and a new (secret) third book.
- The next person to comment should reveal the mystery third book or any previous book that remains unidentified. If possible they should also create a new connection.
- Any commentor may try to guess the identity of any book that has not yet been correctly identified at any time. The author must always be included in the identification.
- Any commentor may, if they are stumped by the identity of the last book named, create a connection based on any of the previous books hinted by us or by another commentor.
- Correct guesses are worth 2 points toward the giveway, incorrect guesses made in good faith are worth 1 point, and connections are worth 3 points. Finally, anyone who comes back and confirms the identity of a book they used to create a connection once the answer has been guessed will get an extra 2 points. (So total of 5 points possible toward giveaway.)
- There is no limit to the number of entries.
- The address form for the week's entries will be posted next Thursday. To consolidate your entries, you will need to come back on Thursday, fill out the form and tally up how many entries I need to put in the hat for you. The form will help you do that.
- The giveaway winner will be posted on Friday along with the next giveaway.
Ready to play?
The first book is a Young Adult novel whose author was inspired in part by the myth of the tributes Athens was required to send to King Minos of Crete as sacrifices to the Minotaur. Like the heroine of this first secret book, Theseus volunteered to take the place of one of the tributes and ultimately emerged victorious from the labyrinth or playing field.
The first book connects to a second, excellent Young Adult novel, which has a character whose first name is actually Theseus, although he prefers to go by Cas.
Name the books and authors, please. And provide a link to your own secret book!
Our winner will receive a copy of Jackson Pearce's SWEETLY.
As a child, Gretchen's twin sister was taken by a witch in the woods. Ever since, Gretchen and her brother, Ansel, have felt the long branches of the witch's forest threatening to make them disappear, too.
Years later, when their stepmother casts Gretchen and Ansel out, they find themselves in sleepy Live Oak, South Carolina. They're invited to stay with Sophia Kelly, a beautiful candy maker who molds sugary magic: coveted treats that create confidence, bravery, and passion.
Life seems idyllic and Gretchen and Ansel gradually forget their haunted past -- until Gretchen meets handsome local outcast Samuel. He tells her the witch isn't gone -- it's lurking in the forest, preying on girls every year after Live Oak's infamous chocolate festival, and looking to make Gretchen its next victim. Gretchen is determined to stop running and start fighting back. Yet the further she investigates the mystery of what the witch is and how it chooses its victims, the more she wonders who the real monster is.
Gretchen is certain of only one thing: a monster is coming, and it will never go away hungry