The last round of revisions is up for our December 1st Five Pages Workshop! Please jump in and help polish up these entries.
And don't forget that the next Workshop will begin soon. Our monthly 1st Five Pages Workshops start the first Saturday of every month. We accept the first five middle grade or young adult manuscripts received by email starting at noon. Lisa Gail Green and I will tell you what we see in those first five pages with respect to your voice, plot, characters, setting, pacing and writing in general. If appropriate, we'll try to help you pull your hook forward and strengthen your voice and structure. You'll also get feedback and comments from your peers throughout the month, and have the opportunity to post revisions each week so you'll end up the strongest possible start.
The rules are simple:
1. Manuscripts must be middle grade or young adult.
2. Manuscripts do not need to be completed, but must be your own, original work.
3. Send us the first five pages, with each page approximately 250 words, max 1250 words.
4. Do NOT send any synopsis or summary information.
5. Do include your name and genre at the top as follows:
6. Send the entry in plain text, single spaced, with a double carriage return between paragraphs.
THIS IS CRITICAL!!!! NO EXCEPTIONS
7. Be prepared to receive honest, constructive feedback.
8. Be prepared to provide honest, constructive feedback to each of your fellow workshop participants in every round in a kind and courteous manner.
You can send your emails at noon (Eastern Time) the first Saturday of the month to kidlit at writeedge dot com. We will accept the first five entries that arrive meeting all the above formatting criteria.
Happy reading and revising!