Don't forget our BIG giveaway this week, too! We've got 21 books up for grabs -- all you need to do is congratulate yourself on achieving a writing milestone, small or large, and leave a comment. Click here --> Being Your Own Inspiration
After the Sale
- On selling Steph Bowe [Steph Bowe's Hey! Teenager of the Year] Do writers belong in their writing caves or out in public?
- Book Marketing Disappointment [Rachelle Gardner] Why is it so hard to promote books to readers?
- Why Self-Promotion Shouldn't Be a Dirty Word [* Roni Loren - Fiction Groupie *]
- The Night Circus -- Guest Book Blog by Jackie Garlick Pynaert [YA Muses] Great post from the lovely Jackie. (waving)
- POSSESS by Gretchen McNeil [YA Author Elana Johnson] Great read by @GretchenMcNeil.
- Prose that makes you go: ahhhh [YA Confidential]
- Bookanista Buzz - The Pledge by Kimberly Derting [Market My Words] Rave review. Added to the TBR :D
- Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick: Yes, you CAN use it in school! [Novel Novice]
- Book Blog- THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER by Michelle Hodkin [YA Muses] Ready for Halloween? @MichelleHodkin can help.
- Books For Trade! [Katie's Book Blog] See Katie's wishlist and SLEW of great ARCs.
- Must Have Middle Grade Reads [Mundie Moms] Some wonderful books!
- First Page and Blog Tour: GALAXY GAMES [First Page Panda] Includes Galaxy Game piece #4!
- J.K. Rowling's sorcerer apprentices: How literary magic is entrancing the masses - The Globe and Mail [www.theglobeandmail.com] The resurgence of fantasy.
- October 2011 YA Releases [Mundie Moms] Some awesome books coming out this month!
- Win a signed copy of THE NEAR WITCH! [Dancing with Dragons is Hard on Your Shoes.] Enter by 10/9.
- MARVELOUS MIDDLE GRADE MONDAY INTERVIEW WITH HILARY WAGNER AND BOOK GIVEAWAY [Literary Rambles]
- A Book Review: THE SPACE BETWEEN [YA Confidential]
- Book Blog - ASHES by Ilsa J. Bick [YA Muses]
- ALA | Challenges by Initiator, Institution, Type, and Year [www.ala.org] Great graphs.
- Tomas Transtromer Wins Nobel Prize for Literature [GalleyCat]
- The Author & a Pageant [Writers' Ally aka ➔ sa larsenッ] Congrats, Sheri on deciding to go for Mrs. Maine America 2012!
- News Round-Up [kt literary] Some great news about FAKING FAITH, THE NAME OF THE STAR, and BAD TASTE IN BOYS. Congrats!
- Take my ARCs! mega giveaway #1 [Kirsten Hubbard: YA Author + Travel Writer] Some amazing ARCS!
- eBook Giveaway: The Pull by Chelsie Shakespeare [Candace's Book Blog] Enter 10/16.
- Austin Teen Book Festival 2011 & Giveaway [Mundie Moms]
- International T-Shirt & Books Giveaway; Walker Releases Blessed & Tantalize: Kieren's Story [Cynsations] Awesome giveaway! Enter by 10/17.
- JEN NADOL INTERVIEW AND BOOK GIVEAWAY [Literary Rambles] Win THE VISION. Entery by 10/15.
- Enter to Win an Illustrator-Signed Copy of Tantalize: Kieren's Story [Cynsations] Enter by 10/7.
- Four Book Giveaway! [Amanda Hocking's Blog] All books in THE RIFT series by Robert Duperre. Enter by 10/31.
- SILENCE Blog Tour: Guest Post & GIVEAWAY [Mundie Moms] Enter by 10/14.
- The 2nd Annual Baker's Dozen All-Star Line-up! [Miss Snark's First Victim] Amazing opportunity for writers!
- Writing Book Giveaway: WRITING AND SELLING THE YA NOVEL by K.L. Going [Kidlit.com]
- Contest Monday [Sisters in Scribe] Catch up on the best contests from Mary Kole and Miss Snark's First victim.
- Linda Ashman on a Roll « Write Up My Life [writeupmylife.com] Great picture book giveaway!
- Designing a Character: Using Light-Direction [Yes, This Will Be On The Test Leslie S. Rose] Interesting to think about!
- Designing a Character: Using Shape [Yes, This Will Be On The Test Leslie S. Rose] Great persepective.
- Designing a Character: Using Light-Purpose [Yes, This Will Be On The Test Leslie S. Rose]
- Designing a Character: Using Color Schemes [Yes, This Will Be On The Test Leslie S. Rose] Excellent!
- Capturing Character Voices [Magical Words] Getting that character right.
- Give a Man a Hammer (or Other Cool Ability): Fifty-Seven Ways it Can Be Used [Cheryl's Musings] Great post for fantasy/paranormal writers!
- Style vs Formula [.W.I.P. It] Balancing rules with creativity.
- Hook Lines and Stinkers: Crafting Lines to Draw the Reader in [The Other Side of the Story]
- Dig Out That Buried Dialogue [*Lynnette Labelle* @Chatterbox Chitchat] Is your dialogue lost in the narration?
- Voice Recognition Tools for Writers [GalleyCat] iPhone, Blackberry, Android and Windows help.
- Extreme Research [Class of 2K11] Some good tips here.
- Don’t Confuse Readers With Inconsistent Character Names [Wordplay: Helping Writers Become Authors] Interesting post.
- Warmth [Writer Unboxed] For protagonists to capture us they’ve got to open up.
- Creating Heroes We Care About [Julie Musil] Great example of how to build a deep character.
- Three little words that will save your story [James Killick's Blog] Great --> And. Therefore. But.
- Nanowrimo Prep: What's Your Premise? [Alexandra Sokoloff] Tips for nailing the concept that will sell what you write.
- HOW TO PREPARE FOR NaNo 2011 & SELL THAT BOOK IN 2012! [Jill Corcoran Books] Have great writing + original concept?
- Moving Quickly Through a Draft [Mystery Writing is Murder] Preparing for #NaNoWriMo? Some efficiency tips.
- Seven Character Types That Build Your Story [Adventures in Children's Publishing] And all the aspects to consider as you build them.
- Tip Tuesday #108 [Literary Rambles] Only 1/9 of your backstory should show in your ms.
- Which Comes First: Conflict or Characterization? [Write It Sideways] Great points!
- What Does It All Mean? [Magical Words] Everything we write has a link to something within us.
- How Goes the Flow in Your Story? [The Editor's Blog] Read this fantastic post!
- How Do You Start Writing? [The Creative Penn] Three different approaches.
- Most Common Mistakes Series: The Dangers of Character Overload [Wordplay: Helping Writers Become Authors] Good post on how to manage your chars.
- Four tips for writing good prose [Nail Your Novel]
- The Top 10 Things I've Learned By Teaching English 101 [WOW! Women On Writing Blog] Love this post!
- Why Setting IS Important When Writing A Novel [BubbleCow]
- Feed Your Senses [Paranormal Point of View] Some amazing tips for you and your characters.
- Personality and Plotting Survey: Does One Influence the Other? [The Character Therapist] Great survey!
- World Building’s Not Just for Paranormals! [Seeing Creative] Quick but important read!
- Psychology in Fiction Q&A: Brainwashing [QueryTracker.net]
- Tricking out Your Characters, a la Fred, George, and Peeves [Harry Potter for Writers] Shake up your stories with a little fun.
- Character Trait Entry: Funny [The Bookshelf Muse] LOL ha ha ha LOL
- Real Life Diagnostics: Building a World That Sucks You in [The Other Side of the Story]
- Dissecting Your Novel - Part 2 [Writing Fiction Right from novelist Gail Gaymer Martin] Great tips from Writing Fiction Right.
- Please Welcome Writer Victoria Mixon and The Art and Craft of Story « Erika Marks [erikamarks.wordpress.com] Good post using Bradbury to illustrate backstory w/ tension.
- TO PLOT OR NOT TO PLOT: Part 8 – Defining Narrative Structure and Conclusion [Ingrid's Notes]
- TO PLOT OR NOT TO PLOT: Part 7 – Defining Plot Structure [Ingrid's Notes]
- Dialogue – a powerful tool! [Ripping Ozzie Reads] And it should do more than one thing.
- Writers: How to Open With a Bang! by Victoria Mixon — The Book Designer [www.thebookdesigner.com] Grab attention.
- Nail Your NaNoWriMo #3: Vet and Fertilize Your Story “Idea” [storyfix.com]
- "I was only trying to spell a loss..." [Kate Hart] On producing passion! Yes!
- The Right Words, Part 1: How writers can beat tip-of-the-tongue syndrome | InkWork Services [inkworkservices.com] Good tips and some absolution.
- Don't Be a Zombie When You Write [Paranormal Point of View] Six tips to bring your brain back to life.
- Fight Your Way Through [Sisters in Scribe] Sooo inspirational, every single time.
- Don't Be a Poser: Write What You Love [* Roni Loren - Fiction Groupie *] Why being trendy can be a bad thing.
- Nail Your NaNoWriMo #5: Don’t Forget to Fall In Love [storyfix.com] Love your story idea.
- All About NaNoWriMo [Mystery Writing is Murder] Where to go to get ALL the skinny.
- Yes, This Will Be On The Test Leslie S. Rose: Query Weary [lesliesullirose.blogspot.com] Lovely, lovely post. Read this.
- From Sarah, With Joy [fromsarahwithjoy.blogspot.com] Three essential questions every writer must ask. For every book.
- New Voice: Karen Kincy on Other and Bloodborn -- Plus Giveaways [Cynsations] Amazing story! Don't be discouraged.
- Remind Yourself Why You Write [Babbles from Scott Eagan] Do you write to create or to make money?
- On Voice, A Quote [Words and Such] Love this.
- Author Philosophy 101 [Katie Ganshert] A reminder that there are many different approaches.
- When You Feel Like a Nobody [Author, Jody Hedlund] Great reminders for the journey.
- Guest Post: Rosanne Parry on Children's-YA Fiction & The Military Family [Cynsations] Great post!
- Age has nothing to do with it [Behler Blog] Great reminder.
- How Surviving Junior High Taught Me to be a Writer. [Writer Unboxed]
- Nail Your NaNoWrMo [storyfix.com] Use October to prepare for a successful NaNo in November.
- How I Got My Agent: Linda Ashman with Agent Jennifer Mattson « Write Up My Life [writeupmylife.com] Great interview.
- Nail Your NaNoWriMo #4: Tell Your Story in Context to… ‘Something’ [storyfix.com]
- Writing on the Ether [Jane Friedman] Interesting roundup of news and views
- Simon & Schuster Launches Book Club Site on Facebook [GalleyCat]
- Interview with Karen Amanda Hooper [Glass Cases] Interview with an indie author.
- Shelby and Shauna Kitt and the Dimensional Holes P.H.C. Marchesi [shelbyandshaunakitt.blogspot.com] What do you assume about self-pub and e-books?
- How to get your kid to be a fanatic reader - CNN.com [edition.cnn.com] Resources for parents to get started.
- Los Angeles Review of Books Taps YA Authors for Banned Books Week [GalleyCat]
- What agents want: the SCBWI Agents Party [Notes from the Slushpile]
- The Agent-Publisher Business Model: New Approaches to ePublishing Solutions — Publishing Trends [www.publishingtrends.com]
- When the scams get desperate… [Behler Blog] What's The Write Agenda's agenda?
- Random House joins It Gets Better Project [Getting Past the Gatekeeper]
- Time Out for a Little Fun [The Blood-Red Pencil] You will smile. Promise.
- Maurice Sendak: 'I refuse to lie to children' | Books | The Guardian [www.guardian.co.uk] Seriously amazing interview.
- 4 Worst Sentence Constructions [Fiction Notes] EXCELLENT examples. Read this one.
- 15 Frequently Confused Pairs of Verbs [Daily Writing Tips] Great quick reminder.
- See How Easily You Can Format Dialogue [BubbleCow] The VERY basic basics.
- Writing Bootcamp: Kate Gordon's Editing Secrets! [Steph Bowe's Hey! Teenager of the Year] Eight tips. (Hint: #8 is my fav!)
- Tips From the Edited [YA Author Elana Johnson] Three quick tips to guide your changes.
- Style Checklist for Writers [*Lynnette Labelle* @Chatterbox Chitchat] Check this before you send that ms.
- What Authors Learned from their Editors [Author/Agent Mandy Hubbard] LOVE this!
- Editing Your Own Book — The Top Ten Tips [BubbleCow]
- 30 Wordy Phrases Beginning with “In” [Daily Writing Tips] Cut down your wordiness and be more direct.
- Bird’s-eye View: Manage your blog comments quickly from almost anywhere [michellefayard.blogspot.com]
- Marketing for Insecure Writers [Coming Down the Mountain: A Writer's Blog] Great perspective. Don't market yourself. Just be out there.
- Ten Rules for Twitter Success [BookEnds, LLC — A Literary Agency]
- Your Facebook Data File: Everything You Never Wanted Anyone to Know - Search Engine Watch (#SEW) [searchenginewatch.com] Scary stuff.
- We Will Always Need Blogs for Writers [The Sharp Angle] Thank goodness!
- The Right Way, the Wrong Way & the Smart Way « Kristen Lamb's Blog [warriorwriters.wordpress.com] Great post on conscious branding.
- Selling Novellas [BookEnds, LLC — A Literary Agency] Have one or more you want to sell? Read this.
- Whoseywhatsit Thursday: Crit Style [Oasis for YA] Need a query critique? Great op!
- Agent Spotlight: Laura Bradford [Literary Rambles] Another great round-up of available agent info by @Casey_McCormick.
- Agent Referrals & Recommendations [Rachelle Gardner] Great lists of resources!
- Workshop Wednesday [BookEnds, LLC — A Literary Agency] The BookEnds Agency breaks down another query. Great example.
- Christine Fonseca, Author: The anatomy of a short synopsis [christinefonseca.blogspot.com] Brilliant breakdown!
- How To Make An eBook - Smashing Magazine - StumbleUpon [www.stumbleupon.com]
- Q&A with The Lit Coach - Issue 1 Announcement | LitReactor [litreactor.com] Three options when your novel's "trend" has passed.
- What's the Deal With Self-Publishing? [Glass Cases] Sarah discusses her upcoming series on indie vs. self-pub.
- The scams and cons that target writers (and others) & the warning signs [Time to Write] Warning signs for writers.
- How To Avoid the Publishing Kool-Aid [Jami Gold, Paranormal Author] Fantastic post about choosing what's right for YOU.
- November’s Free Monthly Webinar [Author Marketing Experts, Inc. » BLOG] 10 Mistakes That Will Kill Your Book.
- Top 5 Most Common Query/Cover Letter Errors [Buried in the Slush Pile] Great reminders.
- Don't Rush Your Submissions [Babbles from Scott Eagan] A word about multiple submissions.
- Author's Echo: So You Think You're Ready to Query... [www.adamheine.com] Great post! Listen up, folks :D
- Kidlit.com · What to Query With [kidlit.com] Have multiple projects? Query your newest and strongest.
- What I Like…and Why I Like it [Adventures in Agentland] Great roundup of books to help you see if your ms is what @Natalie_Fischer is looking for.
- Jane Friedman of Writer's Digest does a wonderful list of best tweets of the previous week.
- Alice Pope does a Wednesday Tweet
Roundupfor the SCBWI Children's Market Blog.
- Northern Colorado Writers do
This Week in the Writing Worldevery Friday.
- Jennifer Roland does a Writing Roundup on Fridays.
- Ricki Schultz does an "In
the Blogosphere" post on Fridays where she lists posts she's enjoyed during
- Elizabeth Craig posts a weekly list of all her helpful Twitter posts.
- And don't forget to check
Nathan Bransford's bloglater this morning for his weekly recap of publishing
news and information.
Saturday Link Party [Forever Young] Jessica rounds up fun and interesting links.
- Stina Linddenblatt
does a Cool Links Friday. This week, she caught a lot I wish we had on ours. I know
what I'm doing for the next few minutes!
- DuoLitdoes a weekly
list of links with some emphasis on self-publishing and marketing.
- YA Highway's Friday Road Trip
hits the high points of the publishing industry, writing craft, submissions process,
and other fun stuff.
- Cynthia Leitich
Smith at Cynsationsdoes a Cynsational author and book news review.
Happy reading and joyous writing,
Martina, Clara, and Marissa