We have our five entries! I will be emailing you with confirmation shortly. I will be posting them soon so that we can get started. Thank you to all who emailed. If you didn't get in this round, try back again in August.
First, thanks and congrats to all the June participants! We had an excellent group of writers, and it was a pleasure to see how much difference even minor changes can make in a good manuscript. Lisa and I were privileged to be part of the process.
The July Workshop
We will accept the first five middle grade or young adult manuscripts received by email starting at noon Eastern time today. Lisa Gail Green and Cathy Yardley will be running the workshop this month while I am on blog hiatus. Lisa will post the pages by Tuesday night, and she and Cathy will tell you what they see in those first five pages with respect to your voice, plot, characters, setting, pacing and writing in general. If appropriate, they'll try to help you pull your hook forward and strengthen your voice and structure. You'll also get feedback and comments from your peers throughout the month, and have the opportunity to post revisions each week so you'll end up the strongest possible start.
The rules are simple:
1. Manuscripts must be middle grade or young adult.
2. Manuscripts do not need to be completed, but must be your own, original work.
3. Send us the first five pages, with each page approximately 250 words, max 1250 words.
4. Do include your name and genre at the top:
Your Name, Genre (Include this in all revisions as well!)
5. Send the entry in plain text, single spaced, with a double carriage return between paragraphs.
6. Do NOT send any synopsis or summary information.
7. Be prepared to receive honest, constructive feedback.
8. You are required to provide honest, thoughtful, and constructive feedback to each of your fellow workshop participants in a kind and respectful manner.
Please note that entries received that do not conform to all these rules will not be eligible. To ensure that your entry gets in, please check your word count and formatting carefully!
Send your emails at noon (Eastern Time) to kidlit at writeedge dot com. The critiques will go up by Tuesday evening.