May workshop is now
First, thanks and congrats to all last month's participants! We had an amazing group of writers. They took advantage of critiques with incredible clarity and professionalism to result in five excellent sets of first pages. Lisa and I truly enjoyed being part of the process.
The May Workshop
We will accept the first five middle grade or young adult manuscripts received by email starting at noon Eastern time today. Lisa Gail Green and I will post the pages by Tuesday night, and tell you what we see in those first five pages with respect to your voice, plot, characters, setting, pacing and writing in general. If appropriate, we'll try to help you pull your hook forward and strengthen your voice and structure. You'll also get feedback and comments from your peers throughout the month, and have the opportunity to post revisions each week so you'll end up the strongest possible start.
The rules are simple:
1. Manuscripts must be middle grade or young adult.
2. Manuscripts do not need to be completed, but must be your own, original work.
3. Send us the first five pages, with each page approximately 250 words, max 1250 words.
4. Do include your name and genre at the top.
5. Send the entry in plain text, single spaced, with a carriage return between paragraphs.
6. Do NOT send any synopsis or summary information.
7. Be prepared to receive honest, constructive feedback.
8. You are required to provide honest, thoughtful, and constructive feedback to each of your fellow workshop participants in a kind and respectful manner.
Please note that entries received that do not conform to all these rules will not be eligible. To ensure that your entry gets in, please check your word count and formatting carefully!
Send your emails at noon (Eastern Time) to kidlit at writeedge dot com. The critiques will go up by Tuesday evening.
Happy writing and revising,